Friday, February 15, 2013

My Journey

      My name is Amanda Romano and welcome to my blog! I am a dance and dance education major at Rutgers University. Throughout this blog you will be hearing about the struggles and obstacles that I will be faced with throughout my knee recovery.
      I am currently a Senior here at Mason Gross School of the Arts and in the Fall I was lucky enough to be apart of the Fall Dance Plus performance. I felt very honored to work on a Robert Battle piece and to be chosen as a part of a quartet in a piece called Battlefield. Throughout my time preforming in the two week show I had a couple of hard experiences. The week before I got injured I had gotten a concussion and was not able to perform in one of the shows. Due to the necessary precautions, I made sure I received the proper medical attention and notes so that I would be able to perform the following night. After a successful first week of the show, I was ready to continue performing. The beginning of the second week was going well with tech performances and the first Friday performance was a success. Then Saturday December 8th came along and it was my turn to do the quartet which is the third part of the performance. The second I went to start the performance I slipped on the stage and my leg buckled causing my knee to dislocate on stage. They had to stop the performance and I was rushed to the hospital. I have had knee problems in the past but, it has been 5 years since I last dislocated it. After spending most of the night in the hospital my parents took me home to Long Island.
    After that long night I was in and out of doctors offices. When I went to one doctor they said I would most likely need surgery. I didn't want to believe it. I had to come back here to school for an exam but before I went I had an appointment at the Hospital for Special Surgery. Unfortunately, the doctor told me that I had to have surgery. At this point it was one of two surgeries that he had in mind and we we would find out which one was appropriate after some x-rays and a MRI. The only thing I could think was that it was me senior year and I would not be able to dance. However the only thing I can do is try to be as positive. Throughout this blog I will be showing you my journey through my recovery!

What have been some injuries that you have faced that have changed your life?

1 comment:

  1. I currently have an injury that changed my life. Same as you, I am a dancer but have a back injury. I have a herniated disk and a bulged vertebrate. From this painful injury, I can no longer perform till further notice. However, I have not gotten surgery or dislocated anything before, so I could not imagine the pain you went through. Injuries are hard to deal with because they effect how you move in every day life, interact with others, and what you are able to do after the injury is healed. The most important thing to do for an injury is to take your time letting it heal, dont rush back into an activity until it is fully healed; you might end up making the injury worse then it was original. Keep your head up and let the injury heal, and you will be back on that stage in no time!

    ReplyDelete